Petition to the Government of Canada
- The federal government implemented a policy wherein federal public servants of the core public administration were forced to choose between their bodily autonomy and their careers, with Crown corporations instituting similar policies shortly thereafter;
- This resulted in public servants being coerced to choose between providing private medical information to their employer and accept two doses of an emergency use authorized COVID-19 injection, or losing their pay, benefits, earned leave credits, etc.;
- This policy violates public servants’ right to bodily autonomy, medical choice, medical privacy, informed consent and reasonable occupational health and safety measures; and
- This policy unnecessarily infringes on the rights and freedoms of Canadians, as reasonable accommodations such as providing an alternative workplace setting (working remotely from home or otherwise) or providing rapid testing for all employees have not been offered as an alternative.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Reinstate the federal public servants who have been removed from their positions without sufficient justification, many of whom are experts in their respective fields;
2. Ensure that freedom to participate in work within the Government of Canada is not contingent on being vaccinated; and
3. Require the federal government to protect the fundamental rights of Canadian federal government employees and where necessary apply proportional and appropriate responses to emergencies that are legal, ethical, and respectful of inalienable human rights.